Starting Sep 10 you can indicate your preference (in the comments' space of this post) for the topic and date of your report presentation. It can be on any relevant topic of your choice that you can relate to the reading assignments (required or recommended) on the corresponding date. Presentations will begin on the 15th. We'll do two or three presentations per class, hoping to finish before Fall Break. I'll give you a free base or two on the scorecard if you volunteer to present on the 15th.
Take a look ahead at the coming syllabus assignments (reprinted below). Scan the assigned texts and select your topic accordingly. You do not have to cover everything, just anything you can plausibly relate to something in that day's assigned material. Also scan the lists of recommended books in the right sidebar, to see if you would like to use any of them as a basis for your report. If the library does not have the text(s) you choose, go to the circulation desk and request via inter-library loan.
Have fun with the project. Be creative. Consider using the podcast/video resources in the library's MakerSpace to prepare your presentation. Plan to present for about 10 minutes, with the goal of teaching us something we wouldn't have learned merely reading the assignment. Then lead a brief class discussion. Don't stress, you'll get all 25 available points if you fulfill these minimal criteria.
15 - Kaag (Hiking With Nietzsche) preface-p.36. #RECOMMENDED: Wept (When Nietzsche Wept) Ch1-4. Midterm report presentations begin - Marissa-"Embracing Suffering”. Caroline Humphries-Nietzsche's poetry
17 - Kaag 37-80. #RECOMMENDED: Wept Ch5-8 - Chris Jennings-the last man
22 - Kaag 83-119. #RECOMMENDED: Wept Ch9-13 - Connor Sundling. Jacquez Caldwell-herd mentality
29 - Kaag 156-193. #RECOMMENDED: Wept Ch18-20 - Bella Ambriz-Kaag. Natalie Moreno-Wept. Nicholas-The Abysmal Hotel and The Horse
OCT
1 - Kaag 194-230. #RECOMMENDED: Wept conclusion - Aaliyah Henderson- Nietzsche and the birth of psychoanalysis. Brent-"Birth of Psychoanalysis" w/ William Barrett. Evan-"Becoming Who You Are"
*2 - Lyceum address by John Kaag: "Our DIgital Cave," COE 164 Friday 5 PM followed by catered dinner/reception with the author. Attendance expected.
6 - Exam
8 - Cafe (At the Existentialist Cafe by Sarah Bakewell) Ch1-2. Spyridon Hale-ch1
I'd like to do 17 - Kaag 37-80
ReplyDeletethe last man
DeleteMy first idea will be making my presentation about the problem of creating ourselves amidst societal norms. I may change it, which is why I’m posting early to get something down. I will be primarily using Sartre and his lecture/essay “Existentialism is a Humanism” from 1946, and Nietzsche, from his portrayal in Hiking with Nitzsche.
ReplyDeleteBasically option 15
DeleteThis is Nicholas. Some of the The Last Man and mostly the Eternal Return
DeleteI'd like the 22 - Kaag 83-119
ReplyDeleteTopic: “Embracing Suffering” on 09/15
ReplyDeleteOn page 12 of Hiking With Nietzsche, the author refers to him as a poet. I'd like to explore his poetry and possibly see how it relates to his existentialist philosophy.
ReplyDeleteon 9/15!
DeleteI would like to do my presentation on pages 120-155 (September 24th) on the master and slave moralities.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to do September 29th, Kaag 156-193
ReplyDeleteThis is Bella Ambriz btw. I forgot to change the anonymous.
DeleteI'd like to present on 9/29 (Wept ch 18-20)
ReplyDeleteI'd like Oct 1 — Kaag 194-230. Topic: Nietzsche and the birth of psychoanalysis, via When Nietzsche Wept.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to present on the 22nd on the topic of herd mentality
ReplyDeleteThis is Jacquez Caldwell
DeleteThis is Nicholas Simms. After some thought, I would like to change my topic and do my presentation over the readings on September 29 (The Abysmal Hotel and The Horse) because of current testing in my other classes. I also find the topics more interesting (sorry in advance)
ReplyDeleteJust to confirm (Nicholas, btw), I would like to present on the 29th along with Natalie and Bella. The first concept was a placeholder
DeleteConfirmed.
DeleteOct 1 "Birth of Psychoanalysis" w/ William Barrett
ReplyDelete10/8 - Chapter 1 of At The Existential Cafe
ReplyDeleteI'd Like to do 24 - Kaag 120-155. - Decadence and Disgust
ReplyDelete^cooper
DeleteI would like to present on October 1 regarding to topic of "Becoming Who You Are"
ReplyDeletei would like to do 24 - Kaag 120-155. #RECOMMENDED: Wept Ch14-17
ReplyDeleteWho are you?
DeleteI WANT TO PRESENT TODAY, FEAR AND TREMBLING KIERKEGAARD. I don't have any free time on the weekends due to work and want to get this out of the way.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry we didn't get to you last class, Gin. You're up first Thursday. But I'd love for you not to think of these assignments as things to "get out of the way"... class presentations ARE the way. ;)
DeleteId like to present on 10/8, from At The Existentialist Cafe, presenting on Husserl’s phenomenology. Thanks!
ReplyDelete