Sunday, July 12, 2026

There’s an Ancient Solution to Our Modern Crisis of Attention

An idea a day keeps angsty distraction away:

“… Abraham Lincoln owned few books but mastered them all. By reading aloud and chewing on the likes of Aesop and Shakespeare as a young man, he forged a mind he compared to steel: “very hard to scratch anything on” but “almost impossible, after you get it there, to rub it out.”

I thought of Lincoln the other day as I pondered the character called the Autodidact in Jean-Paul Sartre’s novel “Nausea.” This strange fellow haunts the local library with the goal of reading every book in alphabetical order. Stuffed with facts but starved for meaning, he embodies the belief that volume of information is a substitute for depth of understanding.

By anchoring each day in a single idea, I’ve spent 20 years trying to avoid the Autodidact’s hollow fate. I no longer chase the endlessly receding horizon of staying informed. I’ve traded the anxiety of the shallows for the untapped wisdom of deep waters…”


https://www.nytimes.com/2026/07/12/opinion/attention-crisis-seneca.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions SEP 22

Presentations- Connor Sundling-__ .  Jacquez Caldwell-herd mentality Post your comments by Monday mid-day if possible. Kaag 83-119 Should we...